- How to Ensure Your Teachers Write Your College RecommendationsPosted 5 years ago
Making the Most of Your High School Guidance Counselor
This is a post by Andre Tarquinio, a rising senior at St. John’s HS in Shrewsbury, MA. Guidance counselors in high school can be a great resource to students in helping with the college admissions process. Counselors can only help if students take the time to seek them out and allow them to provide the important information that they are there for.
In high school, guidance counselors are extremely important for a number of reasons. Here are four of the best ways that students can get the most out of their counselors during the admissions process.
1. Guidance counselors are there for you - Always keep in mind that they want to see you succeed. They will help you in any way that they can as long as you tell them how they can help. Ask them for as much help as possible during the process that is college admissions.
2. Take the time to seek them out – Remember that most counselors have hundreds of students to attend to and thus can’t make specific meetings with everyone all the time. Therefore it is up to you to take the initiative and seek out your counselor on your own time. Be willing to use your own free time during the day to see your counselor.
3. Ask questions – Guidance counselors can only help you if you ask. Always be sure to ask as many questions as you need and they will always be willing to answer. Be willing to ask in-depth questions to get as much help as you need. If you are in doubt about any specifics it is always best to ask.
4. Listen and take their advice – It is easy to go for advice but the key is to actually take to heart what the counselors have to say and utilize the information that they provide. Allow the information that they provide to guide you in the college search. Guidance counselors will always be there to give you the best advice they can but ultimately it is up to you to to take action and use what they give you. Taking their advice is the only way to guarantee that you get the most out of your counselors.
Guidance counselors make the college admissions process easier for students and their families and should therefore be used as a resource in this process. By using these steps students can utilize their counselors as much as possible.